Woodridge Community Guide An affordable, family-friendly area 15 minutes from the city center.
History and Flavor
Just 15 minutes or so from Capitol Hill, you’ll find Woodridge, a family-friendly neighborhood that gives residents the feel of a suburban lifestyle just a short drive from downtown. You won’t have a shortage of homes to choose from here, from new builds to older Craftsman and bungalow-style homes. Woodridge comes with a bonus since it’s on the District’s outskirts, prices tend to be lower than more centrally located single-family homes.
This Ward 5 part of Northeast Washington, D.C., offers yards to families who wouldn’t usually get to enjoy their own green space in the city. Those yards can be very busy, with 23% of the neighborhood’s households having children. A child-friendly community means there will always be friends to be made on the playgrounds.
Woodridge has much to offer in terms of local entertainment and downtown shopping, just piling on to what makes it a great place to live. It’s an oasis for those who desire a small-town feel but need to be close to downtown for work or just love being near the action.
Music & Parks
- Karma DC Live Music Venue– A truly unique venue. An old warehouse feels with a vast stage and hookah lounge. The ambiance is casual, and the music is always great. This is a fantastic spot for a night out!
- Alice’s Jazz and Cultural Society– Alice’s Jazz and Cultural Society is a not-for-profit jazz club in the Brookland neighborhood of Washington, DC. All shows are $5 at the door (cash only) unless otherwise noted.
- The Pocket– Livestreams, private events, you name it, they do it at this intimate high tech, live music venue.
- Echostage– Vast nightspot offering bars, a dance floor, a smoking area & large-scale live music performances.
- City Winery DC– Intimate concerts, food and wine seminars, private event spaces, upscale dining, and a fully functioning winery.
- Bliss Nightclub– Sprawling dance club featuring live hip-hop, rap & R&B in a sleek space with multiple dance floors.
- Barnard Hill Park– Barnard Hill Park is an urban park located in the Washington, D.C., neighborhood of Woodridge; it also abuts the Maryland city of Mount Rainier. This 21.82-acre site is administered by the National Park Service as a part of Rock Creek Park but is not contiguous with that park.
- Fort Lincoln Park– Fort Lincoln was one of seven temporary earthwork forts part of the Civil War Defenses of Washington, DC during the Civil War built in the Northeast quadrant of the city at the beginning of the Civil War by the Union Army to protect the town from the Confederate Army.
- Langdon Park Recreation Center– Indoor and outdoor activities including; boxing gym,
- computer Lab, gymnasium / indoor Basketball Court, multi-purpose room, ball fields, horseshoe pits, outdoor pool, skate park, tennis courts, and a playground.
- Langdon Dog Park– This dog park had recently added lighting for visitors during the evening hours in the fall and winter. Lights go out at 9 pm every night. So enjoy the extended time with your furry friends.
Popular Shopping and Eats
- Shops at Dakota Crossing– Successful large anchor tenants at The Shops, includes Costco, Lowe’s and Dick’s Sporting Goods, Marshall’s, Starbucks, and PetSmart.
- Rhode Island Avenue Shopping Center – Unfussy strip mall with discount grocery & clothing stores, a nail salon & automotive services.
- Heights Shopping Center– Strip mall where you’ll find lots to eat. From Chinese food to seafood, to pizza, a little something for everyone.
- Eden’s Catering and Decor– Eden catering and decor provides traditional Eritrean food and decoration. For weddings, engagements, baptism, graduation, birthdays, and any other special events.
- Pennyroyal Station– Chef Jesse Miller serves his creative take on comfort food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Ircias Kitchen Restaurant– Offering a wide array of fresh food – chicken tacos, quesadilla (steak or chicken), Sopa de res (beef soup), enchiladas (Salvadoran style), Salvadorian chicken sandwiches, steak tacos, tenten-piece piece family meal, and shrimp salad.
- Roaming Rooster– Specializing in free-range fried chicken served in a variety of ways.
- Provost– Eatery providing healthy, organic food to Northeast Washington, DC. We value community and comfort, and we think food is the best way to get both.
- Naked Lunch – Organic bowls and healthy juices. A vegetarian’s dream, located in Mom’s Organic Market.
Best Public High Schools
- Community-Based Classroom 60 students, 10:1 student-teacher ratio
- Croom Vocational High School 98 students, 5:1 student-teacher ratio
Best Public Elementary Schools
- Burroughs Education Campus 273 students, 10:1 student-teacher ratio
- Thomas G. Pullen 744 students, 15:1 student-teacher ratio
Bladensburg Rd NE & South Dakota Ave NE– Bus stop
Eastern Ave NE & Randolph St NE– Bus stop
Bladensburg Rd NE & #3174– Bus stop
Eastern Ave NE & Bladensburg Rd NE– Bus stop
Median Home Value
$487,913 as of 2021
Median household income – $89,795
Median age: 41
Families with children – 23%
High school diploma or equivalent – 17%
College Degree: 74%
64% African American
- Brightwood Community Guide
- Columbia Heights Community Guide
- Capitol Hill Community Guide
- NoMa Community Guide
- Kalorama Community Guide
- LeDroit Park Community Guide
- Kingman Park Community Guide
- Trinidad Community Guide
- Woodridge Community Guide
- Fort Totten Community Guide
- Kenilworth Community Guide
- Nayy Yard Community Guide
- Tenleytown Community Guide
- Congress Heights Community Guide
- Deanwood Community Guide
- River Terrace Community Guide
- Georgetown Community Guide
- Dupont Circle Community Guide
- Mount Pleasant Community Guide
- Eckington Community Guide
- Foggy Bottom Community Guide
- Brookland Community Guide
- Fort Lincoln Community Guide
- Chinatown Community Guide
- Takoma Community Guide
- Logan Circle Community Guide
- 16th Street Heights Community Guide
- Anacostia Community Guide
- Cleveland Park Community Guide
- Shaw Community Guide
- American University Park
- Adams Morgan & U Street Community Guide
- Alexandria, VA
- Arlington, VA
- Chevy Chase Washington DC Community Guide
- Hyattsville, MD
- Petworth Washington DC Community Guide
- Washington, DC