West End Community Guide Real Estate Trendy neighborhood for young professionals and families!
History and Flavor
The West End is the westernmost part of the original L’Enfant Plan for Washington DC (before the annexation of Georgetown). The area is home to the embassies of Qatar and Spain and the Delegation of the European Union. The George Washington University and George Washington University Hospital are also famous landmarks in the neighborhood.
Historically, West End was primarily an African American community. Brick Victorian row houses and warehouses dotted the landscape. The famous pianist and jazz composer Duke Ellington was born here in 1899.
Like many of Washington DC’s neighborhoods, the area has evolved. The site is trendy with modern upscale condos, fabulous restaurants, and luxury hotels that sit among the art deco apartments and Victorian row houses.
The neighborhood sits next to Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, Dupont Circle, and downtown. This is an excellent neighborhood for young professionals and families alike.
Music & Parks
- Quadrant Bar & Lounge– Chic Ritz-Carlton bar/lounge with a fireplace serving American menu, cocktails, cider on tap & more.
- Black Cat– Multilevel spot serves as a bar & cafe with vegan options & an indie/rock/alternative live-music venue.
- Union Stage – Small, intimate venue for varied live-music performances & a bar with draft beer & pizza.
- 9:30 Club– A nightclub and concert venue in Washington, D.C. In 2018 the 9:30 Club was named one of the ten best live music venues in America by Rolling Stone, and in 2019 the club was named “Venue of the Decade” by VenuesNow.
- Rose Park– A pet-friendly green space managed by the DC Department of Parks and Recreation and the National Park Service. Recreational activities in the park include boy scout troop meetings and summer camps in the Community House.
- Duke Ellington Park– The 4,575 square foot park features walking paths, rain gardens, and tree boxes. This park has environmentally sustainable elements to keep things green with little expense from the taxpayer.
- Francis Field– Athletic fields and green space located at 2500 N St. Pet friendly and the drum circle on Sunday afternoons is a must-see.
- Adapt Freedom Park– ADAPT Freedom Park offers a place to relax and have fun. A great place to gather with friends or spend time alone sunbathing or reading a book.
Popular Shopping and Eats
- Georgetown Park– 315,028 square foot, mixed-use, local icon between Georgetown’s two “Main Streets” and the historic C & O Canal.
- Cady’s Alley– Outdoor shopping destination with high-end retailers offering home furnishings, clothing & jewelry in the heart of Georgetown.
- The Washington Harbour– Take a stroll along the boardwalk and take in the nation’s iconic scenery—watch the boats, see the views of the Kennedy Center, Watergate, Key Bridge, and across the water to Virginia. Find restaurants, offices, and luxury condominiums. Come for the live entertainment and outdoor fun all year round.
- Western Market– Small shopping center with a facade of historic row houses & a mix of stores & casual restaurants.
- Chef Geoff’s West End– American-style comfort meals for pick-up and special meals delivered to your door for holidays and other occasions.
- Ris– High-end bistro serving seasonal upscale New American fare in a modern, sophisticated space.
- Upper West Side Cafe’– Contemporary, light café with a curved central bar & a European-style menu at a squash center.
- Jardenea– A high-end locavore American menu served in sleek surrounds at the Melrose Georgetown Hotel.
Best Public High Schools
- Woodrow Wilson High School 1,872 students, 16:1 student-teacher ratio
- Cardozo Education Center 725 students, 10:1 student-teacher ratio
Best Public Elementary Schools
- Hyde-Addison Elementary School 376 students, 14:1 student-teacher ratio
- School Without Walls at Francis-Stevens 540 student, 12:1 student-teacher ratio
New Hampshire Avenue and M Street NW – Bus stop
L ST & 25TH ST NW– Bus stop
P St NW & 22nd St NW– Bus stop
New Hampshire Ave NW & N St NW– Bus stop
Q St NW & #2501– Bus stop
Wisconsin Ave NW & Q St NW– Bus stop
L St & 24th St NW– Bus stop
Rhode Island Ave-Brentwood– Subway station
Farragut West– Subway station
Foggy Bottom-GWU– Subway station
Median Home Value
$666,898 as of 2021
Median household income – $90,816
Median age: 26
Families with children – 6%
High school diploma or equivalent – 1%
College Degree: 98%
2% African American
- Cathedral Heights Community Guide
- Forest Hills Community Guide
- Crestwood Community Guide
- U Street Corridor Community Guide
- Woodley Park Community Guide
- West End Community Guide
- American University Park Community Guide
- The Palisades Community Guide
- McLean Gardens Community Guide
- Glover Park Community Guide
- Potomac Maryland Community Guide
- Friendship Heights Community Guide
- Ivy City Community Guide
- Foxhall Village Community Guide
- Anacostia Community Guide
- 16th Street Heights Community Guide
- Bloomingdale Community Guide
- Brightwood Community Guide
- Brookland Community Guide
- Burleith Community Guide
- Capitol Hill Community Guide
- Chinatown Community Guide
- Cleveland Park Community Guide
- Columbia Heights Community Guide
- Congress Heights Community Guide
- Deanwood Community Guide
- Dupont Circle Community Guide
- Eckington Community Guide
- Foggy Bottom Community Guide
- Fort Lincoln Community Guide
- Fort Totten Community Guide
- Georgetown Community Guide
- Howard University Community Guide
- Kalorama Community Guide
- Kenilworth Community Guide
- Kingman Park Community Guide
- LeDroit Park Community Guide
- Logan Circle Community Guide
- Mount Pleasant Community Guide
- Nayy Yard Community Guide
- NoMa Community Guide
- Park View Community Guide
- River Terrace Community Guide
- Shaw Community Guide
- Southwest Waterfront Community Guide
- Takoma Community Guide
- Tenleytown Community Guide
- Trinidad Community Guide
- Woodridge Community Guide
- American University Park
- Adams Morgan & U Street Community Guide
- Alexandria, VA
- Arlington, VA
- Chevy Chase Washington DC Community Guide
- Hyattsville, MD
- Petworth Washington DC Community Guide
- Washington, DC