Park View Community Guide Real Estate An multi-cultural neighborhood with something for everyone!
History and Flavor
In 1908 several neighborhoods were combined to create the Park View area in Washington DC. Park View is east of Columbia Heights, bounded by Rock Creek Church Road, Gresham Place, Georgia Avenue, and Park Place.
The “Park” in Park View refers to the nearby grounds of the Old Soldiers’ Home, which used to be open to the public as a space comparable to New York City’s Central Park until the 1960s. The Old Soldiers’ Home was designed to be a place where veterans could go to live and work. President Abraham Lincoln loved visiting the beautiful grounds in the summer. By the 1900s, there was a golf course, gardens, and modern dormitories for residents.
In the 1950s, the originally all-white Park View area transitioned to a mainly African American population due to the proximity of Howard University. A 1948 Supreme Court ruling made restrictive housing covenants that prohibited minorities from moving in unenforceable.
The area has been undergoing revitalization since the early 2000s, and several new restaurants and clubs have opened. The area is solidly residential and is well served by two Metrorail stations.
Music & Parks
- BloomBars– An artist and non-profit incubator, performance space, art gallery, theater, dance studio, screening room, youth academy, and center for health, wellness, and community engagement.
- Hook Hall– Bar with large communal tables, pop-up events, games & a garden area with cozy seating off-season.
- Looking Glass Lounge– Easygoing bar with stained-glass windows & other old-time flourishes, plus open-mike & quiz nights.
- Songbyrd Music House– A coffeehouse/music shop with vinyl & java for sale, plus listening booths & a 1947 recording booth.
- 11th and Monroe St Park– Originally used by streetcars, the site has a playground, seating & tables to play chess & checkers.
- Bruce Monroe Community Park– Block-long neighborhood park offering basketball courts, a tennis court & a community garden.
- Girard Street Park– Petite urban park featuring a playground & splash fountain, a basketball court & game tables.
- Park View Recreational Center– The center offers many programs for children and teens and hosts a summer camp and various holiday and special events. Here you’ll find; outdoor fitness center, basketball court, and small track along with turf surfaced soccer field, a fenced-in playground with shaded seating, and an outdoor children’s pool.
Popular Shopping and Eats
- DC USA– The most significant retail development in DC. DC USA is a pedestrian-oriented retail complex adjacent to the Columbia Heights Metro station. The 890,000 square foot, $145 million retail complex is the cornerstone of the neighborhood’s revitalization efforts.
- Shashamane DC– Clothing store which does all types of printing. From banners to stickers, flyers, magazines, magnets, and flags.
- Phoenix Cultural Variety Store– A little bit of everything, including musical instruments, clothing, flags, and more.
- Akr Fresh Fresh Fresh Clothing & Accessories– Fashion accessories store, and member of the National Hemp Association.
- Tabla-Tabla is a casual restaurant featuring the most popular dishes from the Republic of Georgia! The khachapuri, khinkali, stuffed bread, and soup dumplings highlight the Georgian menu.
- EatsPlace– Incubator/pop-up concept featuring a rotating lineup of local chefs cooking in industrial-mod space.
- Sonny’s Pizza– A family-friendly pizza place serving pizza by the slice, whole pies, chicken & eggplant parmesan, meatballs, salads, beer, and natural wine.
- Top Spanish Cafe and Catering– Restaurant offering classic Spanish dishes in a small corner space with a bar & a wood ceiling.
Best Public High Schools
- Roosevelt Senior High School 768 students, 12:1 student-teacher ratio
- Washington Metropolitan High School 136 students, 6:1 student-teacher ratio
Best Public Elementary Schools
- Bruce Monroe Elementary School at Park View 451 students, 10:1 student-teacher ratio
- Raymond Education Campus 517 students, 10:1 student-teacher ratio
New Hampshire Ave & Georgia Ave– Bus stop
Georgia Ave-Petworth– Bus stop
Georgia Ave & Lamont Street– Bus stop
New Hampshire Ave NW & Georgia Ave– Bus stop
Georgia Ave & Newton Pl– Bus stop
Median Home Value
$677,046 as of 2021
Median household income – $118,869
Median age: 32
Families with children – 25%
High school diploma or equivalent – 14%
College Degree: 59%
29% African American
- Cathedral Heights Community Guide
- Forest Hills Community Guide
- Crestwood Community Guide
- U Street Corridor Community Guide
- Woodley Park Community Guide
- West End Community Guide
- American University Park Community Guide
- The Palisades Community Guide
- McLean Gardens Community Guide
- Glover Park Community Guide
- Potomac Maryland Community Guide
- Friendship Heights Community Guide
- Ivy City Community Guide
- Foxhall Village Community Guide
- Anacostia Community Guide
- 16th Street Heights Community Guide
- Bloomingdale Community Guide
- Brightwood Community Guide
- Brookland Community Guide
- Burleith Community Guide
- Capitol Hill Community Guide
- Chinatown Community Guide
- Cleveland Park Community Guide
- Columbia Heights Community Guide
- Congress Heights Community Guide
- Deanwood Community Guide
- Dupont Circle Community Guide
- Eckington Community Guide
- Foggy Bottom Community Guide
- Fort Lincoln Community Guide
- Fort Totten Community Guide
- Georgetown Community Guide
- Howard University Community Guide
- Kalorama Community Guide
- Kenilworth Community Guide
- Kingman Park Community Guide
- LeDroit Park Community Guide
- Logan Circle Community Guide
- Mount Pleasant Community Guide
- Nayy Yard Community Guide
- NoMa Community Guide
- Park View Community Guide
- River Terrace Community Guide
- Shaw Community Guide
- Southwest Waterfront Community Guide
- Takoma Community Guide
- Tenleytown Community Guide
- Trinidad Community Guide
- Woodridge Community Guide
- American University Park
- Adams Morgan & U Street Community Guide
- Alexandria, VA
- Arlington, VA
- Chevy Chase Washington DC Community Guide
- Hyattsville, MD
- Petworth Washington DC Community Guide
- Washington, DC