Navy Yard Community Guide Real Estate More than just the Navy!
History and Flavor
Its name brings to mind images of towering majestic ships coming and going, sworn to protect our interests worldwide. But the Navy Yard neighborhood in Ward 6 is home to so much more than just the US Navy, which has made this area home over 200 years ago. It’s not only become a hub of social activity within The District but a sought-after place to put down roots.
Located along the deep Anacostia River, the Navy Yard district has become well known to millennials as the home of the Washington Nationals and their state-of-the-art stadium Nationals Park. The nearby National Museum of the U.S. Navy will bring you up to speed on the celebrated nautical history of our great country.
Aside from the Navy, the area was almost exclusively industrial for much of its history and suffered a fair amount of pollution. Only since the late 1990s has there been a push to clean the area up and welcome new businesses. The last piece of the revitalization was the construction of some residential housing which continues to this day. With over 2,264 residents now calling the area home, the revival has been a success. You can find studio apartments and spaces for larger families in the area.
Music & Parks
- Pearl Street Warehouse – Rock, country, folk, soul, bluegrass, rhythm, and blues acts from around the country take the stage nightly, offering every seat in the house a front-row music experience.
- Union Stage – Small, intimate venue for varied live-music performances & a bar with draft beer & pizza.
- Karma DC Live Music Venue– A truly unique venue. An old warehouse feel with a vast stage and hookah lounge. The ambiance is casual, and the music is always great. This is a cool spot for a night out!
- The Anthem – Live music in multiple sister venues.
- The Pocket– Livestreams, private events, you name it, they do it at this intimate high-tech live music venue.
- The Yards Park– Sizable park with a waterfall, performance venue & open grassy areas, plus a riverfront boardwalk.
- Canal Park– Once a bus parking lot, this modern park now has interactive fountains, landscaping & a restaurant.
- National Museum of the U.S. Navy– The flagship museum of the United States Navy is located in the former Breech Mechanism Shop of the old Naval Gun Factory on the grounds of the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C., United States.
- Anacostia Riverwalk Trail– A picturesque 20-mile trail offers everyone from exercisers to commuters a wide smooth path to see some sites and avoid the traffic on main roads.
Popular Shopping and Eats
- Lululemon– High-end yoga-focused chain featuring stylish athletic wear & accessories.
- Steadfast Supply– Shop cool gifts for her, him, & kids, including dogs!
- CityCenterDC– A mixed-use development consisting of two condominium buildings, two rental apartment buildings, two office buildings, a luxury hotel, and a public park in downtown Washington, D.C. It encompasses 2,000,000 square feet and covers more than five city blocks.
- Whole Foods Market– Eco-minded chain with natural & organic grocery items, housewares & other products (most sell wine).
- Bluejacket– Microbrewery & restaurant serving craft beers & American eats in a century-old former factory.
- The Salt Line– New England classics & Chesapeake dishes star at this nautical seafood house with a riverside patio.
- District Winery– A modern, wine-focused, globally-minded restaurant & bar on the ground floor of a working winery.
- Osteria Morini– Chef Michael White’s Northern Italian eatery offers upscale fare & river views in a loft-like space.
- Ice Cream Jubilee– Airy, high-ceilinged parlor with patio dishing up all-natural ice cream & sorbet in unique flavors.
- Slipstream– Artisan coffee, avocado toast & creative light fare, daily, with a cocktail & wine scene at night.
- Hatoba– A spacious 2,200-square feet, and seating for 89 with 50 seats in the main dining room, 26 on the patio, and 13 at the ramen bar, Hatoba offers an original selection of Sapporo-style ramen, utterly different from the assortment of ramen
Best Public High Schools
- Luke C. Moore High School 288 students, 18:1 student-teacher ratio
- Washington Metropolitan High School 136 students, 6:1 student-teacher ratio
Best Public Elementary Schools
- Amidon Bowen Elementary School 339 students, 11:1 student-teacher ratio
- Van Ness Elementary School 270 students, 12:1 student-teacher ratio
Navy Yard Metro– Train
600 M Street SE (Navy Yard Entrance)– Bus stop
M St & New Jersey Ave SE (Navy Yard)– Bus stop
M St SE & 4th St SE– Bus stop
M St @ Isaac Hull Ave SE– Bus stop
Median Home Value
$775,500 as of 2023
Median household income – $116,000
Median age: 34
Families with children – 3%
High school diploma or equivalent – 4%
College Degree: 90%
26% African American
- Cathedral Heights Community Guide
- Forest Hills Community Guide
- Crestwood Community Guide
- U Street Corridor Community Guide
- Woodley Park Community Guide
- West End Community Guide
- American University Park Community Guide
- The Palisades Community Guide
- McLean Gardens Community Guide
- Glover Park Community Guide
- Potomac Maryland Community Guide
- Friendship Heights Community Guide
- Ivy City Community Guide
- Foxhall Village Community Guide
- Anacostia Community Guide
- 16th Street Heights Community Guide
- Bloomingdale Community Guide
- Brightwood Community Guide
- Brookland Community Guide
- Burleith Community Guide
- Capitol Hill Community Guide
- Chinatown Community Guide
- Cleveland Park Community Guide
- Columbia Heights Community Guide
- Congress Heights Community Guide
- Deanwood Community Guide
- Dupont Circle Community Guide
- Eckington Community Guide
- Foggy Bottom Community Guide
- Fort Lincoln Community Guide
- Fort Totten Community Guide
- Georgetown Community Guide
- Howard University Community Guide
- Kalorama Community Guide
- Kenilworth Community Guide
- Kingman Park Community Guide
- LeDroit Park Community Guide
- Logan Circle Community Guide
- Mount Pleasant Community Guide
- Navy Yard Community Guide
- NoMa Community Guide
- Park View Community Guide
- River Terrace Community Guide
- Shaw Community Guide
- Southwest Waterfront Community Guide
- Takoma Community Guide
- Tenleytown Washington DC Community Guide
- Trinidad Washington DC Community Guide
- Woodridge Washington DC Community Guide
- Adams Morgan Community Guide
- Alexandria, VA
- Arlington, VA
- Chevy Chase Washington DC Community Guide
- Hyattsville, MD
- Petworth Washington DC Community Guide