Foggy Bottom Community Guide The Watergate Hotel and Kennedy Center are here...and you could be too!
History and Flavor
Running northwest from the White House, Foggy Bottom is one of the oldest areas in DC. Dating from the mid-18th century, its name comes from a geographic quirk in which the area’s low-lying riverside land tends to trap fog or smoky air. The name was extended to the US Department of State when they moved their headquarters there in the mid-20th century.
The infamous Watergate complex is here, alongside the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. George Washington University is an ever-expanding presence in the area. In addition, many federal buildings are located in the area, including the Executive Office Building, and many international organizations and embassies are located here as well.
It is also one of the most desirable areas of town, and rentals here are the highest in the DC market.
Music & Parks
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts– Esteemed cultural center hosting plays, music & dance shows in its multiple theaters plus art tours.
- Georgetown Piano Bar– Basement-level venue with well-versed piano men, sing-alongs & cocktails named for musical legends.
- Rock Creek Park– A large urban park that bisects the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. Created by an Act of Congress in 1890, today, the park is administered by the National Park Service.
- Thompson Boathouse– If you love the outdoors, check out Boating DC’s Thompson Boathouse located in Foggy Bottom. You can rent everything from bikes to paddleboards to kayaks to canoes, take classes, and even hold a Regatta.
- State Department Diplomatic Reception Rooms– If you love politics and gorgeous spaces, be sure to check out the Diplomatic Reception Rooms. These exquisitely curated rooms are used for meetings with ambassadors, emissaries, world leaders, and tours daily by prior arrangement.
Popular Shopping and Eats
- Kennedy Center Gift Shop– Store at the Kennedy Center offering CDs, books, apparel & other gift items.
- Georgetown Park– Georgetown Park is a mixed-use shopping mall and condominium complex in the Georgetown historic district of Washington, D.C.
- Western Market– Small shopping center with a facade of historic row houses & a mix of stores & casual restaurants.
- The Kingbird Restaurant– A soaring dining space at the Watergate Hotel. Besides the everyday meals, this is the place to go for holiday feasts if cooking is not your thing. Their gorgeous and classic-with-a-twist afternoon high tea is also a must-do.
- The Next Whiskey Bar– A gorgeous and elegant bar inside the Watergate.
- Top of the Gate– Atop the Watergate, you’ll find this bar. On select days in winter, Top of the Gate has an ice skating rink with a skate-up bar and spectacular 360-degree views.
- Roof Terrace Restaurant– Indoors at The Kennedy Center. One of the most elegant dining experiences you can have anywhere. Cocktails and dinner here, then a performance by The Washington Opera, The NSO, or a touring Broadway show makes for a truly memorable evening.
- Founding Farmers– This farm-to-table favorite has a location here in Foggy Bottom.
- Tonic at Quigley’s Pharmacy– Get a taste of history at this restaurant which has spent the last decade serving up tater tots, cocktails, and fun events from this former old-timey soda fountain and shows no signs of slowing down.
- Kaz Sushi Bistro– If you have a taste for sushi come by and see why Kaz has been at the top of everybody’s best-of list for the last 20 years.
Best Public High Schools
- Woodrow Wilson High School 1,796 students, 15:1 student-teacher ratio
- Luke C. Moore High School 288 students, 18:1 student-teacher ratio
Best Public Elementary Schools
- Hyde-Addison Elementary School 352 students, 12:1 student-teacher ratio
- Francis Stevens Education Campus 472 students, 11:1 student-teacher ratio
Foggy Bottom-GWU Station – Transportation exchange
Median Home Value
$526,215 as of 2021
Median household income – $64,273
Median age: 20
Families with children – 2%
High school diploma or equivalent – 2%
College Degree: 96%
7% African American
- Brightwood Community Guide
- Southwest Waterfront Community Guide
- Columbia Heights Community Guide
- Capitol Hill Community Guide
- NoMa Community Guide
- Bloomingdale Community Guide
- Kalorama Community Guide
- LeDroit Park Community Guide
- Kingman Park Community Guide
- Park View Community Guide
- Trinidad Community Guide
- Woodridge Community Guide
- Fort Totten Community Guide
- Howard University Community Guide
- Kenilworth Community Guide
- Nayy Yard Community Guide
- Tenleytown Community Guide
- Congress Heights Community Guide
- Deanwood Community Guide
- River Terrace Community Guide
- Georgetown Community Guide
- Dupont Circle Community Guide
- Mount Pleasant Community Guide
- Eckington Community Guide
- Foggy Bottom Community Guide
- Brookland Community Guide
- Fort Lincoln Community Guide
- Chinatown Community Guide
- Takoma Community Guide
- Logan Circle Community Guide
- 16th Street Heights Community Guide
- Anacostia Community Guide
- Cleveland Park Community Guide
- Shaw Community Guide
- American University Park
- Adams Morgan & U Street Community Guide
- Alexandria, VA
- Arlington, VA
- Chevy Chase Washington DC Community Guide
- Hyattsville, MD
- Petworth Washington DC Community Guide
- Washington, DC