Dupont Circle Community Guide Real Estate One of the most popular neighborhoods in Washington DC filled with charm, entertainment and an excellent sense of community.
History and Flavor
Dupont Circle Washington DC is the name of an area that encompasses the traffic circle at the center of it all and a park, the surrounding neighborhood, and a historic district. It’s one of the most popular residential areas in Washington DC.
A great deal of the neighborhood is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Located in what is known as the “Old City” of Washington DC, Dupont Circle was once home to a brickyard and slaughterhouse. The architecture consists of century-old row houses and stately mansions.
The park within the traffic circle is maintained by the National Park Service. It’s home to the Central Fountain, which has been there since 1964. This fountain is an excellent destination for exercisers, with plenty of benches to take a breather and stone chess tables for those wanting to exercise their minds. Others flock here to read, listen to music or meet their friends.
Dozens of bars, restaurants, cafes, museums, and shopping opportunities are waiting to be discovered on Connecticut Ave. The famous 17th Street stretch is known for its vibrant gay-owned businesses.
If you love politics and architecture, take a stroll down Embassy Row and then head to one of the many restaurants inspired by cultures abroad. On Sundays, head to the ultra-popular Dupont Circle Farmers Market.
Music & Parks
- JoJo Restaurant Bar– Elegant venue offering an American menu & live jazz, blues, funk, soul & R&B nightly.
- Eighteenth Street Lounge– Converted townhouse serves up cocktails amid antique sofas & candlelight or on the outdoor patio.
- Public Bar Live– Multilevel bar/lounge/club with dancing, sports on the TVs, American food & a roof deck.
- Hillyer Art Space– Art exhibitions, art classes, poetry readings, curators’ talks, and more.
- Stead Park– A 1.5-acre municipal park, home of the Stead Recreation Center. Here you’ll find a lighted basketball court, an athletic field with a 60-foot baseball diamond, and a playground.
- Embassy Row– A walk among a remarkable stretch of homes here in Dupont Circle can be a highlight of time spent in the area. If you’d like a peek inside these stately homes, check out the annual Embassies’ Open House each year in May. The 28 European Union Embassies share their cultural heritage and national traditions with the Washington DC community.
- S Street Park– This compact, fenced-in dog run is made from artificial turf & features benches for human visitors.
Popular Shopping and Eats
- Dupont Little Flea Market– A marketplace for vintage and antique housewares, furniture, artwork, jewelry, and more. A rotating roster of an ever-changing selection of high-quality goods at great prices.
- Secondi Inc– Light-filled consignment shop stocking designer fashions for women plus jewelry, shoes & handbags.
- Proper Topper Inc– Small boutique offering stylish headwear & women’s fashions, plus accessories, gifts & home decor.
- Second Story Books- One of the world’s largest used and rare bookstores, so it’s not much of a secret. But what you may not know is that they offer a variety of services for book lovers and collectors beyond just a great place to browse and find a title you love.
- Del Sur Cafe– Comfy eatery whipping up South American dishes in an airy space that has a bar & a patio.
- Happy Gyro– American-Mediterranean restaurant serving a fixed-price parade of dishes in an understated setting.
- Residents Cafe & Bar– Hip spot featuring a global menu with brunch classics, burgers & meat plates, plus wine & cocktails.
- Bangkok Thai Dining– Dimly lit basement venue serving classic Thai cuisine, including a vegetarian menu & lunch specials.
Best Public High Schools
- Woodrow Wilson high School 1,796 students, 15:1 student-teacher ratio
- Luke C. Moore High School 288 students, 18:1 student-teacher ratio
Best Public Elementary Schools
- Ross Elementary School 190 students, 12:1 student-teacher ratio
- Hyde-Addison Elementary School 352 students, 12:1 student-teacher ratio
Dupont Circle– Bus stop
Connecticut Ave & Dupont Circle- Bus stop
Georgetown Wisconsin Ave GUTS– Bus stop
AMTRAK 1301 Bataan Rd NW– Train
Median Home Value
$800,000 as of 2023
Median household income – $114,343
Median age: 33
Families with children – 6%
High school diploma or equivalent – 3%
College Degree: 95%
7% African American
- Cathedral Heights Community Guide
- Forest Hills Community Guide
- Crestwood Community Guide
- U Street Corridor Community Guide
- Woodley Park Community Guide
- West End Community Guide
- American University Park Community Guide
- The Palisades Community Guide
- McLean Gardens Community Guide
- Glover Park Community Guide
- Potomac Maryland Community Guide
- Friendship Heights Community Guide
- Ivy City Community Guide
- Foxhall Village Community Guide
- Anacostia Community Guide
- 16th Street Heights Community Guide
- Bloomingdale Community Guide
- Brightwood Community Guide
- Brookland Community Guide
- Burleith Community Guide
- Capitol Hill Community Guide
- Chinatown Community Guide
- Cleveland Park Community Guide
- Columbia Heights Community Guide
- Congress Heights Community Guide
- Deanwood Community Guide
- Dupont Circle Community Guide
- Eckington Community Guide
- Foggy Bottom Community Guide
- Fort Lincoln Community Guide
- Fort Totten Community Guide
- Georgetown Community Guide
- Howard University Community Guide
- Kalorama Community Guide
- Kenilworth Community Guide
- Kingman Park Community Guide
- LeDroit Park Community Guide
- Logan Circle Community Guide
- Mount Pleasant Community Guide
- Navy Yard Community Guide
- NoMa Community Guide
- Park View Community Guide
- River Terrace Community Guide
- Shaw Community Guide
- Southwest Waterfront Community Guide
- Takoma Community Guide
- Tenleytown Washington DC Community Guide
- Trinidad Washington DC Community Guide
- Woodridge Washington DC Community Guide
- Adams Morgan Community Guide
- Alexandria, VA
- Arlington, VA
- Chevy Chase Washington DC Community Guide
- Hyattsville, MD
- Petworth Washington DC Community Guide