People in DC can choose from an embarrassment of riches when it comes to entertainment. Whether you want to see the newest indie band or the biggest touring acts in the world, you’ll almost certainly find them doing a concert in DC. Maybe it’s because there are people here from all over the world. Maybe it’s just because we have so many great theaters. In any case, you’re sure to find one of your favorites stopping in at one of these concert sites.
Here is where you can go to a concert in Washington DC
- Capital One Arena (schedule): For large touring shows, Capital One Arena is the place to be. When it’s not playing host to sporting events, the arena features some of the biggest acts in the world. Just in the next few months Harry Styles, The Eagles, and Marc Anthony will all be playing there. And the surrounding neighborhood has some of the best restaurants and clubs in town, so you can keep the party going when the show is over.
- Merriweather Post Pavilion (schedule): Some of the most legendary acts in music history have played this storied 40-acre outdoor arena, including Jimi, Janis, and Led Zeppelin. This Frank Gehry-designed venue is still going strong after 40 years and is still one of the best places in the region to experience a concert.
- Wolf Trap (schedule): From opera to world music to Abba tribute bands, Wolf Trap’s schedule is as diverse and eclectic as the people of DC. This beautiful Vienna venue plays host to a variety of events throughout the year and educational opportunities and arts programs for all ages.
- Jiffy Lube Live (schedule): Located in Bristow, VA, Jiffy Lube Live is an outdoor concert venue that offers various popular artists from country to hip hop to rock. With 10,000 reserved seats and room for another 15,000 on the lawn, it’s a favorite site for music festivals and multi-act concerts.
- The Howard Theatre (schedule): Dating from 1910, The Howard Theatre is one of the most historic theatrical venues in the DC area. Surviving the 1968 riots and multiple attempts at renovation, the current iteration hosts concerts, and private events. Many events are first-come, first-served, so you can get there early for a great seat if you can get tickets.
- U Street Music Hall (schedule): DJ-owned and operated, this 500-person-capacity basement venue emphasizes the music, with a state-of-the-art sound system that is one of the best in the area. There is minimal seating, but the cork-cushioned dance floor means you can dance all night long.
- 9:30 Club (schedule): One of the most beloved and iconic music clubs’ in the US, the 9:30 Club has been around since 1980 and is currently housed in a building once Duke Ellington’s club and later a gospel music radio station. The spirit is still moving at the 9:30 Club, and there is a great act or event scheduled almost every night. The Club welcomes all ages to most shows, so they are serious about IDs. If you plan to have a drink, don’t forget to bring your license.
New and Noteworthy
- The Anthem (schedule): Located at The Wharf, The Anthem is one of DC’s newest venues and features a wide variety of musical acts from the NSO to Erykah Badu to Tyler the Creator. The 57,000 square foot space has a moveable stage that allows the capacity to vary from 2,500 to 6,000. And as part of the incredible Wharf complex of shops, restaurants, and other events, you’ll have plenty to keep you entertained before and after the show.
- Union Stage (schedule): From the owners of Jammin’ Java in Vienna comes The Wharf’s newest music venue, Union Stage. The 450-person capacity club will feature several bars, a full kitchen, and world-class sound and lights. It was originally slated for a fall opening, so keep checking back for the first show schedule.
DC music lovers are so lucky to have so many great places to see shows and concerts. So whether you are looking for an intimate club experience or a multi-day festival, you’re sure to find something to look forward to on these schedules. And if you want a home that’s close to your favorite club, let us help! Sign in at our website and let us create a custom search in your ideal neighborhood, so you’re always close to the music.